You can use microG, an open-source re-implementation of Google’s proprietary libraries. Simply install microG’s Service Core app and GCam will work.
That causes them to be in continuous modification, which allows creators to resolve any errors or bugs that are present, while introducing new content. However, it is not technically stock as Google adds in tons of Pixel-exclusive features and pre-installs apps here and there. The bottom line here, though, is if you are unhappy with what HMD Global and Motorola have to offer, a Google Pixel phone might be your next-best option. Back in the day, Google co-created the Nexus line of smartphones. In 2016, though, Google started making phones by itself and re-branded them as Pixel phones. These devices come with Pixel UI on board, which is technically an Android skin. 11) Spyware in custom ROMs- The Custom ROMs developed by unknown developers can make you a victim of cyber fraud.
- This can be useful in case you end up with a failed installation.
- The Samsung Galaxy J series are the biggest after “S” series and the “Note” series.
- ALWAYS have a working backup of your original ROM before you flash a new unknown ROM.
- In this case, when GCam tries to use the cameras, it can’t and ends up crashing.
- That’s because Xiaomi and Samsung both took the original Android code, tweaked it, and developed their own ROMs.
Flash memory holds the Android’s firmware, the same as most portable devices with an embedded OS. Custom ROMs can provide updates to smartphones that are up to four years old or older.
- Once the user has wiped the storage and memory of his device, he can go ahead to install and flash the custom ROM to his device using the custom recovery.
- You’ll usually find them outlined on the same site where you downloaded the images from.
- GCam APK (Google Camera) is a camera app for Android devices that is known for its ability to improve the image quality of photos stock Android firmware taken with the app.
- This one is the most newest series along with the J-series.
Samsung Galaxy devices, for example, use a user interface called One UI, Xiaomi phones use MIUI, Oppo uses ColorOS, OnePlus uses OxygenOS, etc. Every UI looks unique and has a different set of features. That’s how you can install a custom Android ROM on your phone. It’s a fairly simple process and with a little bit of time and patience, you can enjoy a fresh new ROM on your phone with added features, customization, theming, and more. If you installed a custom ROM and you don’t like it, or it has issues, just download a new ROM and repeat the installation process. Now you are done with some basics to move ahead to download and install the Nokia 5.1 Plus Android 10 stock firmware. Installing a custom ROM can void the warranty on some devices since it involves unlocking the bootloader.
A few things are lacking from the stock Android experience that may be a genuine pain. For example, consumers frequently complain about the absence of call recording or a dedicated gallery app. Stock Android has progressively gotten better and is considered a safer bet. It has a lot going for itself, considering the low price. The Snapdragon 695 isn’t a performer, but it will do fine for casual use. It also comes with 6-8GB of RAM, up to 256GB of storage, and a 6.43-inch Full HD+ display with a 90Hz refresh rate. What’s best is that it’s also really affordable considering everything you get.